Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Linking from REVIT to 3ds Max

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lesmoore1
168 Views, 3 Replies

File Linking from REVIT to 3ds Max

What are the best practices for file linking between Revit and 3ds Max? Our office went from modelling in Autocad where I could just create a simple file link and update that way. With Revit there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dan.schoedel
in reply to: lesmoore1

You can export a dwg out of Revit and file link to that. They just need to re-export over the existing file and then you can update. I don't have too much experience with that, but it should work.
Message 3 of 4
CAMedeck

What we've done in the past is to export an FBX file from Revit, and import it into a new Max file. Then xref the objects in that scene into a new scene. When Revit is updated, export the FBX and import into the xreffed Max scene after deleting the old geometry.

I could type out a whole lot more info, but for the sake of posting length, I'll just attach a file with some of the do's and don'ts and limitations of this process.

xref_an_imported_fbx_file.pdf

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
lesmoore1

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

I can't believe you can't just create a link like you can with a DWG. Maybe in version 2015!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report