Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Each frame takes 40 seconds longer to render than the last

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
training
588 Views, 6 Replies

Each frame takes 40 seconds longer to render than the last

Hi, can anyone help me, I'm rendering to Backburner, using Max Design 2014sp5, and each frame takes 40seconds longer than the last for most of my render sequences. So as the render pass goes on, it takes longer for each frame to process. I started a render at 7mins/frame on friday, and on monday its going up by about 40secs a frame until i come in and stop it at 45 minutes a frame. Nothing in my animation is changing enough to effect this, and other renders are also doing the same thing.

If i stop and then start the render in BB, it seems to start at 7mins a frame again, and then starts to creap up again. Ive been using MAX since version 3.5 and not seen this before.  

All im doing is moving a liquid or gas thru a pipe [not with particles] and the scene does not change much at all. 

I'm rendering with Mental Ray, and using incremental Final Gather for each frame, which i suspect has something to do with it. 

Has anyone else seen this? or knows how to fix it?

Cheers, Steve

Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hello-

I have not seen or heard of this as of yet, but will ask around to our development staff to see what they have to say.

Best Regards.

Message 3 of 7
iadproductions
in reply to: training

Steve,

I experienced a problem exactly like this early with 2014 and a couple of scenes and certain materials and the new Unified mental ray renderer, I submitted the issue and the files to Autodesk.

If you can submit the files, I would suggest you file a problem report with the files that exhibit this render ( and probably a memory resource ) issue as well.

Have you tried rendering your sequence with the "Classic / Raytracer " mode ?  To see if that resolves the issue any?

Jeff

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2
Message 4 of 7

Here are some other suggestions:

Things to check:

-Latest updates and service packs for 3ds Max.

-Scripts to delete any garbage, retimers.

http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/maxstation/n170-filebloat-removing-lots-of-empty-retimers

-Maybe reduce number refractions and reflections.

I would like to submit your file to our development team to see if they can tell what is going on.  Can you share the file?  If so please post it to the case that was created for this forum post.  Case number 09780968.  This case will show as closed in our system but if it will reactivate when you upload a file to it.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7

Hi, this file is 137mb, it was createed in max 2014.

The render time increasing by 40 seconds a frame has happend in MAX 2014, sp3, sp5 tho im network rendering so the job is in a que. Tho its only happening on the PC that the animation was done on, and not other render machines with the same service packs.

I have Intellectual property issues in giving you the file in the first place. its 137mb, im not sure what you mean by posting it anyway.

Lol, dont talk to me about updates, as usual, the updates have broken more than they fixed. I updated 2014 to sp3, to get state sets updated, which were not fit for purpose, then updated to sp5 to get fixes for state sets, this broke network rendering totally, so i removed all the service packs.

As usual MAX's updates are not really worth doing, its a lottery what there going to break when you install them, its not really worth updating to get new features that are normally broken anyway. Its taken over 3 years to get state sets implimented to a level where they might be usable, but im dropping the feature due to it not really being fit to use for production. Then they break network rendering! with 2014 sp5. 

Sorry if i sound bitter, I should really learn never to update, but i keep chasing new features, then burn days troubleshooting what they have broken this time round. And so it continues. I've been doing this for a decade. 

If they could make parts of the UI red/orange corresponding to an updated or an added feature, then i can safely ignore them after an update, knowing that it will probably not work untill at least 2 years. At least mark the UI that something has changed, to i will be wary of what to use. Parts that are 3/4 years old should be marked as mature features with a green UI so i know there likely to be safe to use. While there at it, i should be able to quarantine ares of the UI that i know i should not use and that are unreliable. Maybe someone can write a plugin that does this! the community can then tag issues in the UI directly that will show the reliablity or areas of the app that they think are safe to use! 

😉

Steve

Steven Dewar | STATS Group | 3D Animator

Win7Ent-64-SP1 | 32GB | Intel Core i7-4770CPU@3.40GHz | Quadro 4000 GPU
Message 6 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: training

Jonathan was suggesting you provide the scene to the Devs, not post it here. Autodesk must deal with NDA (IP) issues on a daily basis - talk to Jonathan by private message or email to sort that out.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 7

Steve-

Please see the private message I just sent you and let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks.

Jonathan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report