Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Coordinates When Moving Mouse

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
keatingk
4749 Views, 7 Replies

Displaying Coordinates When Moving Mouse

Hello all,

A weird issue that I just noticed - my coordinates aren't appearing in the text boxes at the bottom of the screen (see screenshot) when I move my mouse around in a viewport. They just stay blank, so when zooming out or in of a viewport, I have no sense of scale. When I select a vertex/edge/face, then the information appears as expected, but it used to show the dynamic position of the cursor in these fields. I have units set up (feet w/ fractional inches).  I'm using 3ds Max 2014.

After checking the online documentation, it appears as though these boxes should be displaying this information:

• When you are simply moving the mouse in a viewport, these fields show the current cursor location in absolute world coordinates.

Is there any setting that controls this, or any toggle that I'm not aware of? It's difficult to start my scene without knowing roughly where I'm clicking in 3d space.

Thanks for your help!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Steve_Curley
in reply to: keatingk

Help > Speak Back > Report a Problem. Works in 2013 but not in 2014 and does not appear to be Driver related (same with Realistic or Direct3D).

When you start Max the viewports are centered on the Origin, the Grid Scale is displayed (just to the right of the 3 position fields in your image). Provided you have the grid displayed it should not be too difficult to work out roughly where the cursor is. Remember that even when those fields update only the X and Y values change (Perspective viewport) - Z is always 0.
Also, if you turn Grid Snaps on and have the Move tool selected then the current position of the cursor is displayed in the Status line underneath those 3 fields.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Confirming here that this occurs with 3ds Max 2014 SP3 Student Edition

Here is what the Help files say:
"When you are simply moving the mouse in a viewport, these fields show the current cursor location in absolute world coordinates.

While you are creating an object, these fields also show the current cursor location in absolute world coordinates."

Neither of these is happening on my system. I've reported the glitch.
Message 4 of 8
keatingk

Thanks! I was curious if anyone else was experiencing this. I always found it helpful in previous versions, so when I noticed this, it was a bit of a jarring change (even though it's minor).
Message 5 of 8
spacefab

Hi ..

I am having the exact same issue along with problems in the "Material Browser" not showing the "scene material" group etc.

-

Running MaxDesign 2014, Win8, 64bit, Geforce GT740M.

-

All servicepacks, drivers etc. applied..

-

Stil havent solved this issue..

Message 6 of 8
jeff
in reply to: spacefab

Add me as one more user mystified by where my coordinate display went. (Max 2014)

-Jeff

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 7 of 8
spacefrog_
in reply to: jeff

Yep it's a bug that was introduced somewhen in Max 2014 ....

please report it - the more people report , the better the chance to get it fixed 😉

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 8 of 8
joescarr
in reply to: spacefrog_

AUTODESK!!!  Please bring back mouse coordinates!  🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report