Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design 2014: Axis Constraints not working when creating new geometry.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
egdahle
392 Views, 5 Replies

Design 2014: Axis Constraints not working when creating new geometry.

When tracing an object with a new spline or making a new object (in Top, Front or Left view, 2.5 snap) the vertices snap to the object in all axis, even when axis constraints is enabled. In 2013 the vertices get 0 z-value when created in Top view (y=0 in Front, x=0 in Front). Moving the vertices works as before (affected by axis constraint), but not creating them.

I know that changes have been made to snap in 2014, but surely this is a bug, right?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
egdahle
in reply to: egdahle

Oh, I forgot; it works sometimes.
Message 3 of 6
Steve_Curley

Have you turned on the "Enable Axis Constraints in Snaps" toggle? Works perfectly here. With that on, Axis Constraints set to XY, Snap to Vertices (only) and creating a Line :-
2D Snaps - will only snap to Vertices which lie on the XY Plane. Objects are created on the XY Plane.
2.5D Snaps - will Snap to any vertex, but the object is still created on the XY Plane.
3D Snaps - will Snap to any vertex and the object will be created at that vertex.
I can't get it to go wrong. If you can provide steps which will guarantee failure I'll try those. I'm not sure Axis Constraints have ever affected object creation, only when Moving them once they're created.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
egdahle
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thank's for the reply!

Axis Constraints enabled. check
Axis Constraints set to XY. check
Snap to Vertices (only). check
Create line.... snap all over the place.

But something happened:
I switched to 2D snap and back to 2.5D, and now it's working.

Step-by-step:
Open clean max.
create box.
Create line in topview. (2D snap, axis constraints etc.)
Snap all over!
Change to 2D snap and back to 2.5D.
Everything works.
Message 5 of 6
Steve_Curley

Hmmm - only real difference is that my snaps default to 3D (courtesy of Maxstart.max), though I just tried them set to 2.5 and it all just worked as expected. The Snap point will jump around to all the vertices, but the Line vertex is always created correctly at the XY position but at 0 in Z. An oddity - a glitch - dunno tbh. At least there's an easy workaround.
Tried all this in 2015 as well with the same results - all working as expected.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 6
egdahle
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for looking into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report