Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom file properties broken?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
539 Views, 8 Replies

Custom file properties broken?

File > File Properties...
Custom tab
Add a property 'test' with value 'Hello World'

Save the file

right-click on the file, choose properties, go to the Custom tab, check the 'test' property's value. "ѰѰಂ睂ൽ睂Ѱ띢瓚 "

Is it just us, or is this completely broken? This works in Max 5 (naturally).
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Works here - all 4 types (Text, Number, Date, Yes/No).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

strange... we get the results attached

The .zip file contains a R5 and a R9 .max file. If you open these in 3ds Max and go to File > File Properties..., Custom tab, you should see a custom property called "test", with value "Hello World".

The two .png files are from Windows XP and Windows Vista, for a right-click > Properties > etc. from Windows Explorer for the R9 .max file. As you can see, not quite "Hello World". The same procedure on the R5 .max file does give proper results.

Sadly, parsing code we had to parse file properties that worked for 3ds Max 5 gave us the same garbled mess, rendering it useless on r7-9 files (not sure about 6).

32_FjBgI4EB8LYxhFt1hmQ6.zip

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Richard,

I confirm the problem in XP as that's what I have... seems to affect custom text Name entries... the Value field gets garbled... must be how it's translated into characters... they appear to become Symbol Font or some such, but if you select a predefined category from the Name pulldown, the entries are legible.

Don't know how that resolves your issues, but that's what I can confirm.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Cool - thanks Maneswar.. might be able to do something with that. If not, we'll just work around it somehow 🙂
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Just checked some more and the problem is possibly worse. It's not a font my windows recognizes, but alternately it came up as SimSun and Tunga and nothing. Plus, I tested with a few custom fields, rather than just teh available pull down items, andin some cases, teh text was tegible and in others the text from a previous line was entered in place.

For ex, I used Date Completed and used a date value. Next line, I just made something up in text. Max shows it properly but Windows shows the date in the old date line and the next text line. So it seems that custom entries also cause other problems, not just illegibility.
Message 7 of 9
Steve_Curley

I just opened both files on my system (specs in sig). Attached is what I saw, and those images are unmodified in any way except for me adding the filenames to them.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Whoa... I can edit your posts... I didn't even realize I hit edit instead of reply. 😕

Steve, do you have any Asian Fonts installed on your system? Do you have any language packs? Are you using a US English Max and US English Windows, or something else... actually, Richar may be using something else as well, since I believe he's in the Netherlands or somewhere over there.

You're on Win 2000? No XP or Vista for you? I am on XP SP2 and I believe Richard is talking about XP and Vista... maybe he too did not have problems in W2k either.

Thanks. By teh way, I did not open Richard's files, I made my own for the test. I guess I'll try his files and report back later.
Message 9 of 9
Steve_Curley

Whoa... I can edit your posts... I didn't even realize I hit edit instead of reply. 😕

Gerroff! Leave my posts alone, you - you administrator! 😄

Steve, do you have any Asian Fonts installed on your system? Do you have any language packs? Are you using a US English Max and US English Windows, or something else... actually, Richar may be using something else as well, since I believe he's in the Netherlands or somewhere over there.

No - no special fonts or extra languages (locales) installed. UK Max and UK Windows - pretty much a "vanilla" install of both.

You're on Win 2000? No XP or Vista for you? I am on XP SP2 and I believe Richard is talking about XP and Vista... maybe he too did not have problems in W2k either.

Nope - no "micky mouse" themed displays for me! 😛
That's partly why I replied. Having opened the files and seen no issues with the custom properties I began to wonder if the OS had anything to do with it.

Thanks. By teh way, I did not open Richard's files, I made my own for the test. I guess I'll try his files and report back later.

No problem. I just checked the R5 file in Max8 (on my older P4 2GHz system) - it's fine on there too (also Win 2K).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report