Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create terrain from points file

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tejasnoj
842 Views, 4 Replies

Create terrain from points file

Hi,

I am completely new at 3DS Max, that's why I am stuck at the very beginning. I have file: DEM with approximately 13000 points. The text file is (Y X H):

436800,00 104700,00 559,00

436805,00 104700,00 558,20

436810,00 104700,00 557,30

and so on....

I would like to insert those points  into 3DS Max and later create a model from it. The problem is because I don't know how to import those points with this software. What would be the best way?

Thanks, Teja

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Tudor_Timotin
in reply to: tejasnoj

Hi

Maybe this plugin - http://www.maxplugins.de/r2012_files/habware/Terrain2_Max2012.zip from maxplugins can help

I've used it in the past, although sometimes I had to alter the csv file in excel in order for it to work properly - I don't remember what the plugin used to separate the values - I think it was a space and not a comma or a ; (in your case it might work directly)

hope it helps,

Tudor

Message 3 of 5
Stefan_L
in reply to: Tudor_Timotin

If you have access to Autocad Architecture, there are some tools to generate terrain from DEM points, which then can be imported.

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 4 of 5
omri
in reply to: Stefan_L

I normally use global mapper to get DEM, point etc. data into max. import as generic text, export as .stl or dxf

If this is a one time issue you can probably get away with using their trial, which is limited to something like 4 exports. 

Consider buying the program if you will be doing lots of imports. It's well worth the money if you work with geographical data.

I can see that you have some large numbers, probably meters in UTM or similar, so you will need to move your model closer to the origin (0,0) in max or you will get accuracy problems.

Ole

Message 5 of 5
samab
in reply to: tejasnoj

See the script on this thread, it may help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report