Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coming from Maya to Max...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gusyamin
580 Views, 4 Replies

Coming from Maya to Max...

Hi folks!

As the subject states, I'm coming back to Max after using Maya since 1998.

Not that I am completely abandoning Maya - I am adding Max back to my toolset.

I usually defend the approach of learning a software's navigation, hotkeys, etc. as close to the default as possible...

However, after much testing, practising and deliberation, I have decided to stick to Maya's navigation scheme within Max. (If anyone disagrees with me, we can have a discussion in another thread, and I can present my case at length.)

For now, all seems great using Max's support for Maya's viewport and hotkey standards in version 2014.

My problem is: navigating in the camera's viewport.

All works well when navigating orthographic views and even the Perspective view - it all behaves "Maya-like" as expected.

But once I switch a viewport to one of the cameras in the scene (either Free or Target types), the Maya navigation scheme fails and I must resort to clicking on Dolly Camera or Orbit Camera to accomplish anything.

Is this due to oversight from the development team? Or it's an intrinsic technical limitation that cannot be supressed by the new tools that impose a "Maya-like" interaction with the interface?

Thanks for reading! I'm looking forward to anyone who may step forward and shine some light on the matter...

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mitchgates
in reply to: gusyamin

I don't think it is possible.  Although I'm a hard core Max user I do agree the viewport based camera maninpuation is way superior in Maya.  It would be really nice if they would implement something similar in Max.  Many trackers/matchmovers I've worked with hate using Max for this very reason. 

Message 3 of 5
gusyamin
in reply to: mitchgates

Hey Mitch!

Thanks for replying!

Sad, sad news though... The way this camera viewport interaction (or lack thereof) works, is hardly acceptable.
I guess most Max users have grown accostumed to the limitations by now, but coming from Maya's fluid camera viewport manipulation to THIS, is torture...

Would be curious to hear from anyone Autodesk-related on the matter.

I can't imagine this being something that cannot be implemented!

For one, I wonder if the new Customize User Interface "Mouse" tab can't provide a way to add "Orbit Camera" and "Dolly Camera" in the 'Actions' list and share the same shortcuts as "Arc Rotate" and "Zoom" whenever the mouse is active in the Camera viewport.

That could approximate Maya's camera view manipulation pretty decently, I think... would you agree?

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: gusyamin

If you think this is a bug (I can't comment because I don't use Maya) then Help > Report a problem.
If you're putting this forward as a change - a feature request - then the UserVoice site is the place to go.

It is possible, but not too likely, that you may get a reply here from AD. These are more peer-to-peer discussion groups than a shortcut to support or the developers.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
gusyamin
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks Steve!
That's a good suggestion. Wil do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report