Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap hole between outer/inner border without capping inner border?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alexh010101
1087 Views, 5 Replies

Cap hole between outer/inner border without capping inner border?

I have 2 cylinders. One of them rests on top of the other and has a smaller radius than the bottom one.

(see attachment)

I deleted the overlapping polygons of both cylinders and I would like to Cap the hole between the borders of the outer and inner cylinder, WITHOUT capping the space inside of the inner cylinder.

I tried to select both borders and click Cap, but it fills the inside of the inner cylinder.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ekahennequet
in reply to: alexh010101

It looks like you have additional borders selected. Orbit/Rotate your view or got to Bottom viewport after selection to make sure that there aren't interior edges selected.

Message 3 of 6
Steve_Curley

Bridge (instead of Cap) but you'll end up with a load of triangular polys - far more vertices on the outer shape than on the cylinder. Optimally you'd want the same number of vertices on both borders.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 6
alexh010101

Hi there, 

Thanks for your responses.

I checked the selection again and no other borders were selected besides the two I wanted.

I did try to bridge them together but I get polygons that protrude out of the outer shape (as shown in new attachement).

This model is intended to be printed so I don't care much about number of polygons. I'm not sure how those protruding polygons will affect printing.

Please let me know if you have suggestions.
Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
alexh010101

I just solved the protruding polygons issue by introducing more vertices in the inner border (using Connect).

Message 6 of 6
ekahennequet

Ah, I didn't realize you were using "Cap" tool. No, you don't want to use Cap on multiple borders sharing the space. You will end up with overlapping/coincident polys. As Steve mentioned, Bridge works best if you have same number of edges on both borders. But you can certainly use Bridge with odd numbered borders with success if the number of edges are closer to each other.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums