Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a student license for game modding?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1641 Views, 7 Replies

Can I use a student license for game modding?

Well, can I? These mods are free and I won't be getting any money for them or the uploading of models to the game.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lightcube
in reply to: Anonymous

Not an official, or a lawyer or anything fancy like that... but my view is this: If I owned the 3ds Max franchise and knew that person X can't afford my software at this moment but wants to get into axtivity G using my software, and knowing that if activity G leads person X to a situation to buy my software... well I'm all about X using my software in expectation for future payment. You scratch my back, I scratch yours.

Again, I'm not a lawyer or anything special, or answering your question directly. Just sharing a perspective. A "theoretical" perspective.

Because I think EVERYONE should eventually buy Max.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

AFAIK, as long as it's not "for-profit" (commercial), you can use the educational version freely.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

You have to ask yourself...will these models EVER be used for profit or in a professional setting?

Message 5 of 8
dgorsman

For personal use, I don't think the black helicopters will show up.  But for public distribution is a no-no.  The student license is for personal education rather than content creation which could be basis for a future business, for-hire work, used on a pay-to-play game server, and so on.  We should try to honor the intent of the student license, and overall there will be less headaches later on to use the professional version.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

As long as you do not violate the terms that the parties give, and mod stars can not violate the policy of the apk game provider is okay.

Message 7 of 8
Mark.Lancaster

In case someone comes across this posting.. 

A free student license from Autodesk means that you are currently signed up and attending a qualified educational institution https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/education-program/who-can-join/el...   In addition that you create in an free educational license can't be shared outside of classroom studies even if its not for profit...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 8 of 8
leowarren34

Just a note to add to the bottom of this thread:

Any files you create with an educational license are tagged using metadata and so should most definitely be kept to yourself. If someone unknowingly uses an EDU file in professional work then they can get into big issues. The internet is very good at propagating files about and not everyone may be aware to the consequences of using an EDU file professional( again big no-no)

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report