Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to approach irregular chamfers

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
richie_hodgson
1715 Views, 5 Replies

Best way to approach irregular chamfers

So I would like to chamfer say 1m across and 0.5 down, is there a clever way to approach this
Richie
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Not easily, and not with the normal Chamfer tool because a) it creates new edges equidistant from the selected edge and b) it moves the selected edge as well as creating new ones. To reproduce that (whether with different spacing or not) you could Connect edges to create the new ones (using "Slide" to adjust the position), but you'd then have to adjust the position of the original appropriately as well.
There may be enhanced Chamfer tools available which allow this (I don't know as I've not searched for one) - start with scriptspot.com.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
vovov
in reply to: richie_hodgson

Havent used it myself but might help:

http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/quad-chamfer-modifier

Message 4 of 6
dbroad

It depends on the geometry to be chamfered.  Given a poly box, with loop mode on, at edge level, click an edge.  Choose chamfer with 0.5 distance.  Click one edge of the resulting chamfer and offset move it away from the corner 0.5.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 5 of 6
richie_hodgson
in reply to: dbroad

Essentially its for a rectangle with an extusion of 0, it represents a fence surface (to which I can apply a material) for a quick visualisation. All good for a standard fence but some fences I deal with have chamfered sections...I am relatively new to 3DS so not well up on the modelling tools.

Richie
Message 6 of 6
dbroad

If this answer doesn't help, post a sketch because I will not have understood your description. 

Rectangles are 2d. After creating the rectangle, convert it to a editable spline.  Go to the vertex level.  Select all the vertexes that you want chamfered and equally chamfer.  Select all verticies for which you want the unequal chamfer, right click and choose corner type.  After chamfering, select one vertex at the chamfer(or pairs of verticies as applicable) and move it(them) the additional distance required for the unequal offset.

After the plan dimensions are right, extrude to create the fence shape.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report