Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLUEPRINT - problems setting it up - Picture won't fit properly

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
danvegan
1774 Views, 4 Replies

BLUEPRINT - problems setting it up - Picture won't fit properly

Greetings!

First off, let me thank you for the chance to learn a bit from all of you. Just like I wrote in some of the topics I opened here, I'm a beginner.

The problem I've been facing this time, however, is related to the blueprint.

I cropped the picture correctly using Photoshop. The TOP View of the car, for example, is this size: 738 X 333. So, I open MAX, I create a 738 by 333 plane, I hit M, click on diffuse box, select Bitmap, select the picture and "voilá". The tutorials I've been following, everything goes well from this part on. In my case, when I select the picture, it appears very tiny on the Material Editor Box - in the videos I watch, the picture appears well proportioned, in my case, it appears small and crooked. Is it anything I'm doing wrong, perhaps, in Photoshop or even when creating the plane? Or maybe it's a specific setting in the Material Editor Box which I don't know about? 

I'd be glad if I got a bit lightened up with your help.

Greatefully,

Daniel

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: danvegan

See if this thread helps.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 5
danvegan

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

It didn't help much. I checked and unchecked both Real Size boxes and made no difference.  Is there any way to assign the picture to the object automatically or must I use UVW MAP and change the size of the gizmo until I have the wanted results?

Thanks again.

DANIEL

Message 4 of 5
Steve_Curley

As noted in the other thread you should not need to touch the UVs.
Determine the size of the image. Create a Plane with the same number of units (height/width) as there are pixels in the image. This will probably be way too big, but needs to done to create a Plane with the same aspect ratio as the image.
Create a Standard Material, add your Bitmap to the Diffuse Map. Right-Click the header of the Material > Show Shaded Material in Viewports. Apply to your Plane.

Create a Box (at the Origin) which is just big enough to enclose your model. Do this as accurately as you can. Move your Plane so the center of the plane is level with the middle of the box. Uniform Scale the Plane such that (for example) the top of the object in the image is aligned with the top of the box, likewise the bottom. You may need to adjust the position of the Plane if the object is not in the center of the image. Repeat the procedure for the left/right of the image so they match up with the sides of the box. Repeat the whole lot for the other 2 Planes.

Caveat. You may well find that it is impossible to get all 3 images lined up perfectly. "Blueprints", or rather images of them, are rarely as accurate as you might wish and you may well have to compromise. Worst case is when say the height (of a car) in the Left view doesn't agree with the height in the Front view, but the length of the car does agree with the length in the Top view. In such cases you need to determine which is "right" (in this case the Left view is "right" and the Front view is "wrong") and only ever change the vertical position of a vertex when looking at it in the Left viewport (and ignore the fact that it looks out of place in the Front view) otherwise you'll just keep changing the same thing over and over depending on the viewport you're currently using.

Is all this a PITA? Sure, but if you don't it right you'll end up with a distorted model which won't be winning any awards because the proportions will be wrong, so it pays to take the time to get it all set up as accurately as possible before you actually start modelling.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 5
danvegan

Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer.

I could solve the problem the following way. When I select the Bitmap, there are these settings that go like this: Offset and SIZE. The SIZE part was different from the real size of the picture, so I changed the numbers to be as same as the the size of the plane and the picture. Then it worked. Although the quality of the image isn't good at all. But at least the picture fits the plane properly.

Thanks a lot. I'm very very thankful.

Daniel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report