Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2015

189 REPLIES 189
Message 1 of 190
rsparwasser
27507 Views, 189 Replies

3ds max 2015

Hi,

time for me to renew my subscription 😞 Does anybody heard any news about max 2015 features. Hope the 2014 subscription extentions are not the only new features.

Hopefully they include liquids and smoke stuff in it. And additionally new nodes in the node based material editor, like add glow, blur nodes and so on.

best

rog

189 REPLIES 189
Message 181 of 190
phloog
in reply to: Pyro777

@Pyro777 wrote:

Well good. You saved $20. Be glad.

I paid $500 to renew my subscription...and got a $20 plug in.

If you define this as having 'saved $20', you would probably enjoy shopping with my wife.  She comes home overloaded with stuffed bags, and can't wait to tell me how much money she 'saved'

I feel like this release of Max merits a two-word review, taken from the film "This Is Spinal Tap"

The future is always so bright for Max - it just never gets here.

Message 182 of 190
Pyro777
in reply to: phloog

LOL, perfect reply! I knew a response like that was coming even before I typed my comment. 🙂 Well done.

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 183 of 190
Alberto_Cano
in reply to: Pyro777

Hello to all!
On this issue I created a post with a global solution, with no Max or Maya.
I wonder which team you, they think that I think is quite important in the near future to finish with Autodesk parallel productions.
the link is this

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Off-Topic/no-more-max-or-maya-suggestion/td-p/4905604

Message 184 of 190
padre.ayuso

I know many months have passed since this was discussed, but that last point, that 3DS Max is not being paid any attention by AD makes sense, even if so slightly only for Archi Viz. Unfortunately, I'm coming down the line with the subscription as I can't afford to keep paying AD for their non-developing product that only scratches my pocket but not my back.

I also know that several of the developers from AD 3DS Max were laid off not so long ago, so I'm not surprised if 3DS Max will dissappear in the very near future. I think, as it has been mentioned before, that Blender will make it easier to export files that can then be imported into Maya/3DS Max and I believe they already have been working hard at it, so maybe for those who don't want to spend an arm and a leg, should start reviewing other options. There are also great free renderers out there, or cheaper than VRay that could help you get where you need, such as Corona, Octane, NOX (by evermotion), etc. So I'll definitely start playing around more and more with Blender and being able to merge into 3DS Max.

Also, just so everyone is fully tracking, AD seems to be loosing stock value, just in case anyone like me was wondering, and it has a great to do with the fact that the Management's mentality is based on making money, rather than servicing the client/listening the client. I know there are a lot of good/hard working people in AD, but lets be honest, with a company that puts more attention to their stock value/shares than they do to what the public want, getting rid of a good chunk of their developers, this companies management is driving its own company, although slowly but surely to the ground.

Hope to hear in the near future that AD is not buying any more products, but making what they have better and more userfriendly, although, by experience, this has not happened in the 7 years that I have worked with 3DS Max.

Message 185 of 190

im sorry but nothing could be further from the truth.

to re-iterate, from a business model perspective, Max is second in autodesks portfolio of applications to autocad, of all the M&E applications it is by far the biggest, but it is also in every suite EVERY suite across all industries, if they discontinued it it would impact the majority of their user base, for this reason alone Max won't be going anywhere for a bery long time.

so the development question, ive personally met Eddie Pearlberg on his world tour technology preview this year, showcasing what is in the pipeline for future versions, some of what i saw made it into extension 1.  Other very cool stuff is on the way, this includes new features and workflows, when they get released is obviously not apparent as they cannot make promises on this.  in addition to 'new' stuff Eddie highlighted a number of existing features that are being worked on to resolve known issues and make them more robust and reliable. 

If you are active on facebook and twitter with the autodesk community you will have read nothing but positive news from the recent gunslinger event in montreal, development of Max has long time users of Max very excited.

Personally this week i hit a glitch in max it was minor but i lost just over an hours worth of work unwrapping a character, i vented my frustration in a post on facebook, it was late at night which is common for me, but in the morning i had had feedback from some of the dev team, they asked for my email address so they could track my CER by the end of the day, together we had identified the problem tracked down the cause and it had been handed off to engineers to look at, this is not the actions of a team of people who are not invested in developing and improving the product.

As for the share price? they go up and they go down, and sometimes this is influenced by external factors or competitors, so i wouldnt read too much into that.  But if you want to take the view that the recent subscription model announcement has done this then my advice would be to buy some shares, why? well becauseif it doesnt work they can scrap it and go back to the existing model, if it does and as they predict the user base grows substantially then that shareprice is going to grow also.

You might not like the noises that come from the corporate end of Autodesk butlikeitornot their kon is to make money for the shareholders, if they didnt there wouldnt be the budget to develop Max and where would we all be then. You dont have to like and or agree with what the corporate arm says or does but this is busimess, but do not confuse corporate Autodesk with the development team for Max because I know, know they are doing a great job i've seen it and experienced it, not read rumours or speculation on social media and forums.

if anyone who was at the gunslinger reads this they will back me up im sure.

A

Message 186 of 190
lightcube
in reply to: padre.ayuso

I'm probably about as fanatical as you can get about Max. I am also very outspoken about things AD does that I feel are offensive, untehical or unwise. The 3ds Max phenomenon exposes two dichotomies (in my own self if not more widespread). On one hand, AD keeps making policies that make me want to "rage quite" as the kids would say. On the other hand, 3ds Max keeps getting better every year. Although there are days that all the Maya ads across the internet piss me off (I want to see Max ads), and although the new proposed rental policy is close to driving me postal, I do have to reel in my emotions on the issue. The fact is, I would never trade in Max 2015 for Max 2012 or older, for example. Why? Because the newer versions are faster and more reliable.

Yes, there are things we all need to concern ourselves with relating to the way AD treats us. But at the end of the day, today's Max is better than any previous version. You can do more, do more faster, and do it all more condifedently than you could a few years ago.

Again, I am very skeptical about much that AD does. But at the same time, it isn't true that development on Max has stopped. I won't ever rent Max, but as long as I can own it, it's certainly the only 3D core I will use.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 187 of 190
phloog
in reply to: lightcube

Max for me long ago lost the benefit of the doubt, so while I don't doubt that everyone here -both AD employees and enthusiasts - firmly believes what they are saying, declaring that 'great things are on the way' means nothing to me.  And with the more recent announcments, that seem to imply that the costs for me to stay with Max will go way up, it's my expectation that we will likely be 100% off of Max by 2016.   It's also my expectation that when that happens, people here will still be saying "Oh man, don't do that, because they are just about to launch some awesome new features.....that they can't tell you anything about because publicly held blahblahblah"....I've never seen another company that seems to RELISH the inability to communicate future plans.

Message 188 of 190
padre.ayuso

I'm not necessarily into making everyone hate Max, it is my daily tool and I love it (well, except some of the stuff that annoys me, including the fact that we have all of the plug-ins that originally came with Max in 1995), and then some added "features". If one is to buy the program (like AD did back in the day) then they ought to take good care of it. Not just make it faster if I get an I7 worktstation and add Cuda GPUs. I mean make it better than what it is by finding out what we want. I don't disagree that AD needs to pay attention to the share-holders, but then again, I'm the one paying the share-holders, or am I missing something? I know many people that love Max but I have found many others that also don't like some of the stuff that AD is doing or not doing with Max. Having said that, I'd be happy if I don't find myself in a possition of having to come up with thousands of dollars to upgrade whether I want to or not. VRay, Octane, Corona, these are companies that as far as I have founf out, have made their programs better by throwing themselves into the forums, even pricing questions, they survey it and find out what is wanted. Corona, for example, listed all of the different pricing programs that they can do for you, after having surveyed what is wanted at a very reasonable price. And I agree, I find myself unsure if I should buy 2016 or not, and if I buy my upgrade now, it will be 4000 dollars less than if I buy it next year, that's not very reasonable, I don't necessarily win here.

Message 189 of 190
3dmaxnew
in reply to: rsparwasser

When I start 3dmax 2015,  all viewports are black. There is no grids and coordinates. I cannot see any objects I created. How can I fix it? I really need help. Thanks.

Message 190 of 190
cresshead
in reply to: 3dmaxnew

change your viewports to software
looks like you have a video card mis match 

you'll find this under user preferences - viewports

stephen gilbert

web www.cresshead.com
tel 07505 741 609

facebook.com/cresshead

stee+cats
http://www.cresshead.com

3dsmax subscription
other s/ware:- Modo Blender Combustion Lightwave Zbrush
system spec:- 6 core i7 3.4ghz, 16gb ram nvidia gtx780 (3gig) ssd c drive windows 8.1 Q how many polys? all of them!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report