Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2013 IBL Mental Ray Black Render

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
656 Views, 13 Replies

3ds max 2013 IBL Mental Ray Black Render

Heya

I was wondering how on earth do we enable IBL lighting to work inside 3ds max 2013/2012?

Heres my quick workflow

1. Create omni light, disable it to get rid of 3ds max default lights.
2. Go to 8 > Insert Environment / background switch texture.
3. Put Bitmap HDRI inside environment.
4. Disable GI
5. Assign A&D shaders with no reflection just pure gray
6. Render = black render.

And thats it, I did try Optimizer v1 it don't work. I try tons of other things to get it to work but nothing seems to work...

Can any1 help me with it please?

Thanks, bye.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Animatik
in reply to: Anonymous

You have to create a skylight and put your hdri map to Sky Color
Message 3 of 14
ivan_iliev

I’ve no idea what you are after using this particular workflow, but to use HDRI image as a light source, you need a sky light with “Use scene environment” option activated.

ivan
Message 4 of 14
fabiodacosta

I beleave his intention is to use the IBL feature that's part o Mental Ray for years, but Autodesk refuses to expose it to customers.
I would like to know how to enable this feature too.
Beauty is on the eyes of the beholder.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I want to use the proper mental ray IBL which uses importance sampling to sample the HDRI to get better results hard shadows etc etc.

I'm hopping I would be able to map this HDRI to custom looking object (sphere with flatten bottom ) to simulate floors and other things. So its not just infinite sphere..
Message 6 of 14
Jeff_Patton

<edited> The mr Options Manager script has been updated so use it instead of what I had outlined here before it was updated <JP>
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_Patton

Heya

Thanks Jeff I think I also emailed u at some time yesterday.

In any case thanks for help, will dig in it. Its so unprofessional of autodesk to do this thing and expect people to magically know those things out of thin air. On top of that they asking 45% extra for their max subscription !

Anyway will work on it tomorrow night once I get home, I do have Thorsten script but it wont work in max 2013 since they hanved folder name from mentalimages to NVIDIA (lol)

From a side note are you now using fully Iray or did u move to Vray ?

Thanks bye.
Message 8 of 14
Jeff_Patton

<edited> The mr Options Manager script has been updated so use it instead of what I had outlined here before it was updated <JP>
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Hey Jeff

Thanks for ur help ! Ure live savier.

But I still cant get it to work - which is weird because now it should work - I only dont use unindefinied sampling(or whats its called..)

In any case I get this warn and pretty much black render
PHEN 0.19 1028 MB warn : IBL shaders should be applied to a VISIBLE user area lights to work optimally.
It try to render with HDRI but I still get black render or bugged... arr gotta work on it for a lil while longer.

EDIT: I got it to work. Its quite noisy and bad but I'll work on it tommorow. Thanks Jeffa again for help ! Btw the hemisphere for Iray from ur web, will it also work in mental 2013 ibl?

Thanks, bye.
Message 10 of 14
Jeff_Patton

Yup, I believe you'll have to use unified sampling in order to get the best results from this particular IBL setup.

AFAIK the hemisphere mode in iray doesn't work with mental ray. I have no idea if they plan on implementing that into mental ray or if there's an existing shader/mode/widget/spell that will produce that in mr today. 🙂
Message 11 of 14
artur.xleao

Hi guys! First, thanks for using my script, it's cool to know it's of value to other people!

I was informed today that there was a problem with my script and 3dsmax 2013 and IBL due to a change in the path to mentalray shaders, this has been solved and I've done some minor tweaks to mr Options Manager 2013 so please check my website and download the latest version! If you find any bugs or have any sugestions feel free to contact me thru the email available at the website!

Here's my latest update changelog for my 2 scripts:

Both iray Manager and mr Options Manager are updated to version 2013, please check the website for more info.
- Fixed IBL Mode not working on 2013
- Infinite, hemisphere and sphere mode are fixed and WORKING
- SOON matte objects support

www.youcandoitvfx.com

Cheers,
Artur Leao
Artur Leao
www.ycdivfx.com
Message 12 of 14
Jeff_Patton
in reply to: artur.xleao

Thanks Artur! This will make IBL in 2013 much easier.
Message 13 of 14
RGhost77

What about new user_ibl_env, useribl_ibl_rect shaders? Anyone already tested it?

I makes some simple tests, it seems it works but with some strange results for me.

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Heya

I tested them in Maya 2013 they works there, no idea about max ones... havent had patience for max yet...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report