Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2014 Populate- Ramp function grayed out

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
htk-mec
3991 Views, 5 Replies

3DS Max 2014 Populate- Ramp function grayed out

Hi all!

I've been working on an architectural visulation in 2014 Max Design and am having problems with the Populate ramp function. The ramp tool is always grayed out, no matter what. I've looked at various tutorials and forums online and can't seem to find anything that addresses this problem. All other aspects of populate seem to be working fine.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! My deadline is fast approaching...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
chrisgfnr040908
in reply to: htk-mec

Simple explanation...

Create a flow.

Make sure the flow is selected.

Click Edit Flow.

Select a segment... (The centre line)

Click on the add ramp icon.

you can then select and move one of the new section ends to your required vertical position. Be aware that there is a limit on how steep you make the ramp. If the ramp goes gray ( the lanes disappear) then it is too steep.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Dell Precision 7810
Intel E5-2650
64 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Quadro K5200 4 Gb
Max / Max Design from 2009 - 2017
Message 3 of 6
htk-mec
in reply to: chrisgfnr040908

Thanks for the instructions, those are what I had been going off of based on the tutorials I watched.

So I made a new flow that only had 3 segments and it worked. For some reason, I cant get it to work on my paths with many segments that aren't straight. It seems quite fickle.

Also, when the ramp does work, all the people on the entire length of the path disappear. It didn't loose the center line (or the border didn't become orange, which I believe indicates that the slope is too great).

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any suggestions!

Message 4 of 6
htk-mec

Also, the add segment frequently shows as an orange line when I try to use it. Even with minimal segments on my flow, there are hardly any places where I can add a segment, and these seem to be the problem areas for the ramp as well.

The online tutorials implied that there was not a limit to the segments you could add, and I swear I'm not going overboard with them!

Message 5 of 6
babsvanwaarden

I am having the exact same issue. Did you find a solution to your problem?

Message 6 of 6

With the whole Flow select, you need to select the first icon on the top right of the Create Flow panel "Edit Flow."  Then you need to select a segment (or more) to edit.  Then the second two icons, "Add to Flow" and "Create Ramp" will become active.  You don't move the "Ramp" which will have orange edges on the flow, you move the 'flat' sement on the high/low side of the ramp.

Mastering Autodesk 3ds Max 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Autodesk-3ds-Max-2013/dp/1118129717/ref=zg_bs_4135_2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report